"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on How is God's name pronounced when there is a prefix?

Parent

How is God's name pronounced when there is a prefix?

+2
−1

The 4 letter name for Hashem is replaced with the word a/d-/nai (3 syllables). But my siddur doesn't put vowels under each instance, so I'm not sure how to say the word when it is preceded b a prefix lake a vav, a lamed or a beit.

The word "e/l-/kei" becomes vei/l-/kei with the addition of the preceding vav -- the vowels under the aleph disappear and the word stays 3 syllables. Is the same true for Hashem's name? Does it become

va/d-/nai

or

va/a/d-/nai and become 4 syllables?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

There is a popular mnemonic to remember this (a brief search for its origin was not successful):

מש"ה מוציא וכל"ב מכניס

Moshe “takes out” but Kalev “brings in”

That is, if the prefix is one of the letters mem, shin or heh, then the aleph of G-d's name retains its vowel and is pronounced (“taken out”).

However, if the prefix is vav, kaf, lamed or bet, then the aleph loses its vowel and is not pronounced (“brought in”).

So, in your specific question, the pronunciation would be va/do/nai.

Of course, like with all rules, this one also has its exceptions (one of which appears in the haftarah for the morning of Tish’ah BeAv, in Yirmiyahu 8:19).

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (12 comments)
General comments
AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago

The mnemonic is only useful if you understand what it means, so probably worth translating it

rosends‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Would that rule correlate to the vowel under the prefix letter?

JoelK‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@rosends I don’t understand your question

@JoelK does it have to do with the vowel sound under the prefix (e.g. a patach would cause a combined syllable while a segol, because it is distinct from the opening vowel sound of A-do-nai, would create 2 separate syllables)?

@rosends I see. The problem is that it’s a bit circular - the vowel on the prefix can sometimes change depending on the vowel on the first letter of the following word.

@JoelK does the vowel under the first letter of Hashem's name change?

@rosends Well you’ve already noted that sometimes it disappears entirely. But other than that I don’t believe so

@JoelK would it be accurate to say "when the name is preceded by a patach, the two sounds become coalesced into one syllable (va/do)"?

JoelK‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@rosends I can’t think of any exceptions to such a rule when it comes to the name pronounced as אדני. But see eg Devarim 11:17 where ואדני האדונים has a patach on the vav and a chataf patach on the aleph

rosends‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@JoelK yes, but there the word is adonei (יז) כִּי יְקֹוָק אֱלֹהֵיכֶם הוּא אֱלֹהֵי הָאֱלֹהִים וַאֲדֹנֵי הָאֲדֹנִים so I'm wondering if there is a rule that can be applied just to Hashem's name (the question of why there would be different grammar for the name then arises)

@rosends. As I said, as far as I’m aware the rule you propose would always work for Hashem’s Name. But I think the rule is meant to have broader applications. Consider Bereishit 18:12 ואדני זקן

snowbunting‭ wrote over 3 years ago

What about when it's a dalet? "בְּרִיךְ יְקָרָא דַיְיָ מֵאֲתַר" בֵּית שְׁכִנְתֵּיהּ