"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on What content do we want to import from Mi Yodeya?

Parent

What content do we want to import from Mi Yodeya?

+4
−0

We can import questions and answers from Mi Yodeya.1 You might have noticed that we imported two already, the ones needed by our "not professional advice" notice. What else to import is up to the community.

The earliest Codidact communities (Writing and Outdoors) did bulk imports, excluding only closed questions. This meant that all the content was in one place, but it also made a very large initial pile to curate. Curate, you ask? Well, we can't know who voted how on Mi Yodeya and anyway this is a new site with potentially a new community, so our policy thus far has been to reset votes on import. That means everything starts at zero and you can vote, confident that you aren't double-voting. But seeing a site full of "0" isn't ideal either.

Speaking personally, and not as a Codidact administrator, I now recommend a more intentional and phased approach to data import. That doesn't mean we can't get most or all of it if that's what we want, but we should think about what we want before asking for it.

Here are some things to know about data import, to inform this discussion:

• Data import is scripted but requires developer intervention too; it's not "fire and forget". We would therefore like to batch import requests, accumulating a small list rather than doing posts one at a time. This might mean a delay of a few days between a request and its fulfillment.

• As I've implied, but just to make it explicit, we don't have to do it all at once. We can do multiple imports over time.

• We can import anything that can be expressed in a SQL query. If you can get it using the Stack Exchange Data Explorer, we should be able to get it too. This means we could restrict imported posts by tag, by score, by status (for questions), by how many answers a question has, and more.

• We can import specific posts (like the two we started with). If there are specific posts we want, compile a list of links.

• We can combine imports with categories. For example, if we decide to create a category for Purim Torah and we want to import some PTIJ questions from Mi Yodeya, we can make them all end up in that category instead of Q&A ("main").

How would we like to approach data import?

Update: The question of general imports is still open, but there is now a place to request import of specific questions.

1. The Creative Commons license permits this so long as we attribute and link the source. You can see an example of how we're doing this on our Writing site (see the notice at the bottom of the post). Note that we drop this attribution for people who create accounts here and link them to their SE accounts, because those people have now directly licensed that content to us, in addition to other licenses they've granted. For example, this question was imported, but it's mine and I have an account here, so there's no attribution notice.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (12 comments)
−1

Allow me to make a counter-proposal.

Don't import any content wholesale, but be open to the idea of importing specific questions and their answers.

Why in the world do it that way, you ask?

Even though it's only been a few days, Judaism Codidact already has 14 questions, only three of which are unanswered at this point and a few have more than one answer. I don't know to what extent that content is duplicated from Mi Yodeya, but it seems pretty clear to me that there's enough questions to be asked to get the site started.

Certainly judging by the votes both on the Judaism Codidact proposal and the Mi Yodeya SE Meta post referenced from there, there appears to be enthusiasm among the Mi Yodeya community about having another place to ask questions, answer questions, and interact with others, so there's people here who are presumably willing to contribute time and content.

I was in favor of importing content from Writing SE to seed the Writing Codidact site, and later similarly (but more selectively, in part because its scope was different) for populating Scientific Speculation from Worldbuilding SE. In retrospect, especially with regards to Writing, I'm not sure that was such a good idea, at least the way it was done. Writing has always been a low-traffic site, and it's hard to differentiate either site when most of the content duplicates what's already available on a more established platform. To me, the fact that it didn't take all that long before we got a feature request for a way to see only content that has been created on Codidact is another hint that merely importing already-existing content isn't always a good idea.

On the flip side, an empty Q&A site (or one with just a few questions, or with questions asked and answered by the same users) can easily look deserted. The folks behind the Electrical Engineering Codidact proposal recognized this from the beginning and choose instead to initially populate the site with brand new questions and answers, and had a plan for how to, once it was populated with seed Q&A, bring in additional subject matter experts and spread the word. Time will tell how that works out in practice.

I'm not saying you have to start from scratch. I would suggest that you consider it seriously as one option.

If at some later point the situation changes, and it looks like Mi Yodeya may be at risk of being shut down (either as just one site, or because Stack Exchange itself falters), nothing prevents importing content then in order to preserve it in a user-friendly fashion, possibly into a separate category. Stack Exchange data dumps are available at the Internet Archive, so even if Stack Exchange closed up shop with absolutely no warning or put everything that they control behind a paywall, most of the content could still be salvaged.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

I think Mi Yodeya/Judaism is different from the sites you mentioned, where people are more asking about new problems they face as they come up with them. Judaism is, well, old, and the range of "basic" questions about halakha or tanach is significant and mostly already tackled at Mi Yodeya. Redoing all that effort seems wasteful. But @Monica would probably know best having been active at all the sites. (I'm not sure I'm expressing myself well here.)

Canina‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@AA That's certainly a reasonable argument in favor of importing content. The purpose of my post here was more to illustrate that there are also arguments against importing content. Which decision you, as a community, end up making is yours to figure out.