"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Which ethical teachings are unique to Judaism?

Parent

Which ethical teachings are unique to Judaism?

+3
−2

Are there any ethical teachings found in the corpus of the written Torah which are unique to Judaism and are not found in other world religions current or past? If so, what are they?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
−0

Second attempt

I'm not equipped enough to say it's unique, but I would say that Shmita and Yovel are very uncommon.

Shmita - Every seven years, for a whole year, one may not preform agricultural actions at his field, and debts are canceled.

Yovel - Sold fields return to their original owners

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (14 comments)
General comments
robev‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Could you explain how shmittah is an ethical teaching? Just seems like good farming practice. Also, returning lands to their owners may be nice for the seller, but not necessarily for the buyer.

Alaychem‭ wrote over 3 years ago

The buyer should take it into consideration when paying the price, so no damage done to the buyer.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

It is ethical teaching. First of all, there are the debt-forgiveness and other things that aren't about farming at all. Second, saying everyone has rights to the produce during Shemittah is a major change from the norm (both 6 years out of 7 and everywhere else) of "what's mine is mine". And finally, saying Shemittah is just about good farming practices is like saying "don't eat pork" is about trichinosis.

AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Debts are cancelled after shmitta but land sales are only cancelled at yovel.

@manasseh none of the things you said are ethical teachings.

Alaychem‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@AA Shameful mistake by me, edited. Also, there is ethical teaching when God tells us that our ownership on our land is limited, and people should get a fresh start.

robev‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@manassehkatz my point wasn't the reason behind the mitzvah. My point is it's not unique to Judaism, as many farmers practice letting the land lie fallow

@Alaychem slaves also go free at yovel not shmitta. If the ethical teaching is that removed from the rule, it's also not unique to judaism. Many if not all world cultures teach about second chances.

Alaychem‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@AA It seems that we understand the question differently. Since the Tora lean towards practical actions, rather then abstract principles, I thought that the OP meant "which practical actions with ethical meaning behind them are still unique to the oral Tora". If the OP meant like your understanding, my answer is indeed incorrect.

Alaychem‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@AA "slaves also go free at yovel not shmitta" - No. Shmot 21:2

AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

That verse is not talking about shmitta...

Slaves going free is from Leviticus 25 explicitly about Yovel וְכִי-יָמוּךְ אָחִיךָ עִמָּךְ, וְנִמְכַּר-לָךְ--לֹא-תַעֲבֹד בּוֹ, עֲבֹדַת עָבֶד. כְּשָׂכִיר כְּתוֹשָׁב, יִהְיֶה עִמָּךְ; עַד-שְׁנַת הַיֹּבֵל, יַעֲבֹד עִמָּךְ. וְיָצָא, מֵעִמָּךְ--הוּא, וּבָנָיו עִמּוֹ; וְשָׁב, אֶל-מִשְׁפַּחְתּוֹ, וְאֶל-אֲחֻזַּת אֲבֹתָיו, יָשׁוּב

Rambam Shmita veYovel 10:17 יתרה שביעית על היובל--שהשביעית משמטת כספים, ואין היובל משמיט כספים. ויותר יובל על השביעית--שהיובל מוציא עבדים, ומשמיט קרקע

Alaychem‭ wrote about 3 years ago

@AA You are correct. Fixed