"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Should a Noahide convert to Reform Judaism if no Orthodox community is accessible?

Should a Noahide convert to Reform Judaism if no Orthodox community is accessible?

+2
−0

If a Noahide wants to convert to Judaism and the nearest Orthodox community is hundreds of miles away, should he go with what's available in his area? Even if it's Reform? As I understand it, Judaism is a journey and a person builds on the mitzvot he keeps. As he learns and practices, he discovers more mitzvot he can keep. Would a nearby Reform congregation be a good place for a Noahide to convert? Presumably, he could go from there to more observant communities if he is able to move and wanted to do so.

I understand Orthodox and Reform don't always get along, that there are big differences. If he converted in Reform Judaism and moved into an Orthodox area and began attending the shul, their influence would help him be a better, more observant Jew, right?

Is the worst that would happen is that the convert would have to undergo the process again for whatever community he would move into next?

Is it better for his soul to live as a Jew in his community than to be an outsider? I guess I would think, maybe?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Hello -- if one wanted to stick with an orthodox perspective, I would point out that a reform convers... (6 comments)
Hello -- if one wanted to stick with an orthodox perspective, I would point out that a reform convers...
rosends‭ wrote 3 months ago

Hello -- if one wanted to stick with an orthodox perspective, I would point out that a reform conversion would be tantamount to "no conversion" but someone having gone through that process might call himself Jewish which would cause confusion in the future. An orthodox conversion is a rigorous process which often requires moving. If one is not ready to make that commitment to his Judaism, then I would suggest that one is better served being a righteous Noachide.

deleted user wrote 3 months ago

That would be pretty frustrating for someone to go through a conversion and have a group tell him he's not a real Jew. But he would be a Jew in his community. He would be keeping Torah. He would have Shabbat. It just seems like a simple thing and good for the soul.

The commitment test seems artificial. He's already willing to commit to being a Jew. Why is it necessary to force a move, sell a house, relocate family, change a career to prove commitment when there is a community of Jews nearby he can join? I don't understand what that would prove. I'm sure there are people who already live around Orthodox communities and chose to convert and they don't do any of these things.

If he stays a Noahide, he cannot go any deeper with Hashem. He won't be taught Torah. Can't wear tefilin, can't participate in most of the prayers, lifecycle functions. He has no community. No Shabbos. He remains a righteous Noahide...but alone.

Many people are willing to "commit" to being a Jew if it doesn't impinge too much on their lives. That's not what marks a proper convert. Being able to participate in communal prayers might be a perk, but there are also obligations -- you can't have one without the other. The communal identity is part of that so, yes, moving in order to surround oneself with the proper community, or being within walking distance of an orthodox synagogue is one step in creating a new identity for the self as a Jew. There are Noachide communities which can provide a sense of belonging for one who chooses that path. But if one is satisfied by doing the least rigorous conversion, one which will not be accepted by orthodoxy, then one shouldn't be surprised if one is not accepted by the orthodox.

Maybe I misspoke. Not asking if a Noahide should go for a lenient or stringent conversion. Has nothing to do with that. People with Orthodox conversions can also find themselves rejected as Jews. So it's between the person and the community they live in. Move, and you could be doing it all over again. In that sense, converting with a Reform community is the harder path where a convert has less expectations of acceptance. But my question was about what was best for the Noahide. Is it worth it to be able to connect to Hashem in a deeper way as a Jew in the community - even if it's not Orthodox, and even though it may cause MORE work later? Could a Noahide convert with his Reform community, live an upright life as a Jew there? And if he can move to the Orthodox community, humbly ask to do what is necessary to be accepted as a Jew there, too?

It is better for a Noachide to be a righteous Noachide. Since converting through reform auspices would lead the Noachide to believe that he is Jewish, he might end up observing things forbidden to him, or not following actual Jewish law, and not focusing on the elements required of a Noachide.

I've had an experience over the weekend and I believe you are right. In the 13 years I've been a dedicated Noahide, ALL of my experience, contacts, and learning have been through Orthodox Jews. This past Erev Shabbat I sat in on my first Reform service. I can only say that I'm still dumbfounded by the experience. Nice people, I wish them happiness and wellbeing. But I believe that environment would be harmful to the soul of a Noahide, whether he wanted wanted to convert or just study with the community. Even if the Noahide is alone, with no support at all. I wanted to come to a different conclusion, but I just couldn't. So thank you for your input. It gave me a lot of food for thought. But it made a world of difference to see it for myself. Be well.