"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Havdallah during the nine days

Havdallah during the nine days

+2
−0

On Motzei Shabbos Chazon (the Shabbos before Tisha Ba'av which always falls out during the nine days), what should be done about drinking the wine/grape juice for Havdallah?

If a child is available, what age child would be ideal?

Is it even better to use a child in the first place (if you do have a child the correct age) or to drink it oneself?

Is it better to use beer?

Please source your answer. Thanks.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (9 comments)
General comments

Skipping 2 deleted comments.

AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago

What about Motzei Shabbos during the nine days that isn't Chazon?

AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

According to this meta proposal https://judaism.codidact.com/questions/276383#answer-276874 this question appears off topic.

Fwiw on the rare occasion I've been present to celebrate a siyum during the nine days I've never seen anyone giving away their meat, if there was any, to a child.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@AA That is really not the same. I have heard this particular topic discussed many times before. (My LOR even noted in the Shiur that for many years when he discussed it, I would use the example of whichever one of my kids was the "right" age; now mine are older but the Rabbi has kids in that age range). A Siym, or a Bris, is a special Seudas Mitzvah. I believe the concern with Havdalah is that it is not special.

@manasseh i agree they are different. there is much less reason to allow eating meat or wine at a siyum since no one usually celebrates a siyum with meat and wine so the disregard for the mourning is more blatant. havdala, being at least a rabbinic obligation, is much more halachically special than anything else you mentioned. A bris usually has bagels and cream cheese and a siyum usually has entenmann's donuts if you're lucky.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

a) I understand the different opinions regarding a Siyum, but I have most certainly had meat & wine at a Siyum - shortly before shutdown my Shiur (I didn't start it, but I took over when the original leader of many years left town, though he was able to return and speak at the Siyum, which was awesome) had a Siyum and we most definitely had meat & grape juice - though most of us went for the whiskey; b) a Bris having meat & wine (even outside the 9 days) is not that unusual.

eliyahu‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@AA I see no issue with my question based on those proposed rules.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.