"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on How will Judaism Codidact be better than Mi Yodeya?

Parent

How will Judaism Codidact be better than Mi Yodeya?

+7
−0

I feel a bit confused. On the one hand, I suppose we all supported Monica and her case against Stack Exchange, but obviously it's hard to ignore that Mi Yodeya is (at least in my view) the best thing that happened with Judaism with regards to the internet. At the same time, I also saw leading members of the community here at Codidact, among them Isaac Moses, who himself founded Mi Yodeya.

So I would like to ask, in what terms do you think Judaism Codidact will or should be better than Mi Yodeya? How would it be possible to create a community producing a valuable content instead of creating just another Q&A site which would eventually fall into oblivion?

I let myself be convinced, but frankly I am not aware of a clear and good answer now.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−1

Without directly answering the question [yet], I'd like to point out that for Judaism.Codidact to be worthwhile, it doesn't have to be better than Mi Yodeya in an absolute sense; it just has to be capable of attracting a community of people who are willing to contribute here to worthwhile Q&A about Judaism. What that means, practically, is that J.CD has to be a better fit for at least some people, for at least some purposes, than MY. I encourage people to post answers here that describe ways in which this community can and should distinguish itself.

Manassehkatz' answer is a good example - J.CD can distinguish itself by choosing to err more on the side of inclusiveness when inclusiveness and content quality are in tension. That includes a criticism of MY, but mainly indicates an opportunity for a different emphasis here and therefore a potential to attract and be useful to a different population.

Ideas for differences in scope, similarly, could indicate niches that J.CD could fill.

I'll conclude with a meta-answer to the question at hand: It's worthwhile to participate in this new community now because a new community provides an opportunity to develop in new ways, with different ultimate emphases and niches, not all of which will necessarily be obvious right away.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (5 comments)
General comments
AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

It would be nice if someone would actually post a vision for how to distinguish this site from MY and a set of rules which serve to accomplish that goal. Right now it's hard to see any policy difference between the sites. Everyone just keeps talking about how it can become different, while practically there's no doubt everyone is treating it exactly the same [for now].

Isaac Moses‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@AA I see this post as about collecting aspirations - visions - rather than mechanisms or policy prescriptions. It's not at all surprising that people's behaviors are going to default to what they're used to elsewhere. Whether by deliberation over policy or by evolution, it will take time for the rules and norms for this community to emerge. Thinking about what kind of results we'd like to see is a good early step.

Harel13‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

I agree with @AA. It seems to me to be the same people, doing the same things, with more or less the same rules and guidelines. Only key difference I see so far is the platform. When the suggestion for the site was launched on the Meta a number of weeks ago, I had high hopes for something different. I have yet to see that, unfortunately.

AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

@Harel13 What different things did you hope for? Did you have "a vision for how to distinguish this site from MY"? Please write them down and they may happen

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@Harel13 I think people are defaulting to "like Mi Yodeya" because it's a baseline many here share. But that doesn't mean that's static; it means things haven't been worked out yet. There are several meta threads (in addition to this one) on various aspects of this question. Please help shape the outcomes. We're not going to be exactly like Mi Yodeya; what should we pursue first? What's most important? We want the community's input on this before we just start changing things.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.