"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on How will Judaism Codidact be better than Mi Yodeya?

Parent

How will Judaism Codidact be better than Mi Yodeya?

+7
−0

I feel a bit confused. On the one hand, I suppose we all supported Monica and her case against Stack Exchange, but obviously it's hard to ignore that Mi Yodeya is (at least in my view) the best thing that happened with Judaism with regards to the internet. At the same time, I also saw leading members of the community here at Codidact, among them Isaac Moses, who himself founded Mi Yodeya.

So I would like to ask, in what terms do you think Judaism Codidact will or should be better than Mi Yodeya? How would it be possible to create a community producing a valuable content instead of creating just another Q&A site which would eventually fall into oblivion?

I let myself be convinced, but frankly I am not aware of a clear and good answer now.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−3

I am a middle-of-the-road SE user. Not anywhere near the top, never a moderator, etc. But also stuck around long enough with some specific communities to have (I think) some productive and positive impact.

Mi Yodeya was never one of my main sites - I mainly participate(d) on DIY/Home Improvement and Retrocomputing. Why? I felt I could contribute more on those sites - they were, dare I use the words, more welcoming. Welcoming does not mean a bunch of crazy popup reminders about new users or guided tours or "be nice" notes - all the things SE management has, in recent memory, been pushing. Mi Yodeya always seemed to have a bit of an "elitist" attitude. I think part of that is due to a quest for truly high quality Questions and Answers - which is a wonderful goal. But somewhere along the way, it feels to me, as a moderately learned & observant Jew, but not a Rabbi or anything close, to have grown to the point where if you can't cite Gemara, Tosfos and Rishonim to support the simplest statement that it gets pushed away as "need sources" --> "junk". More to it than that, I think, but that is the sort of impression I've had and I ended up occasionally visiting Mi Yodeya but rarely contributing, and not even reading on a regular basis.

It remains to be seen how Judaism Codidact plays out. I do want it to be high quality, but I also want it to be the type of place where anyone with the right intent (not trolls, etc.) can participate even if their level of Jewish knowledge is not "almost Rabbi".

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (11 comments)
General comments
Dr. Shmuel‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

The thesis of this answer may also drive away a certain type of user as well.

Kazi bácsi‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

While I totally understand your feelings, I have to tell, that MY made me open books that otherwise I would have probably never opened. I know it can be sometimes stressful, but it's not just to annoy users. (And I try to be nice, when requesting a source.)

AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

What policies/rules would you want to implement to achieve this vision?

manassehkatz‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

No specific policies/rules that I can think of at the moment. It seems, to me, more of an attitude issue. Which, to be honest, is something that can't (realistically) be legislated. Rather, it is something that evolves over time based on many different things. More something to think about than to "force".

AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

Are there different initial conditions then? Same rules, same initial conditions, same outcome (I'd expect). I'm willing to see something different on this site; I just haven't seen anyone actually doing anything towards that end.

I'm going to poke at this to try and get you to refine your idea. This 'middle level' class of users that you feel weren't able to participate at Mi Yodeya but will be able to here, how do you see them participating? Is it questions or answers? If the issue for them on Mi Yodeya was, as you indicate, expectation of sourcing, what different expectation do you expect to find here? On Mi Yodeya a sourced claim was generally seen as superior to an unsourced claim since nobody knows you to trust you

Do you imagine here people with enough points would gain an ability to not source since they are indeed considered trustworthy? Or perhaps sourcing should be discouraged as it clogs a post? Or is there going to be a new area of scope that will be on topic that this category of people will be better suited to answering? Perhaps a different definition of what constitutes an "answer" to a question?

I'm open to hearing these suggestions, but nothing is going to be different magically because we want it to. If you reward better quality posts, then the people who are better at writing them will get rewarded more. That's how the gamification works. If you want something different you have to change the reward structure, change the definition of quality, or change who you expect to participate.

I don't know much about DIY/Home Improvement and Retrocomputing at SE, but can you explain what they did that made you feel more welcome there? Could it be that you are simply more of an expert at those subjects? (I don't know you at all to know what you're an expert at.)

@AA I hear what you are saying - you are asking reasonable questions. I'm just not 100% sure of the answers! As far as comparison to the other sites I mentioned: I am not an expert in either of them but I have personal experience plus I learned from others on the site and elsewhere. If anything, my Jewish education and ongoing Jewish involvement (shul/community, etc.) is far more than anything relating to those other sites. I certainly do appreciate well-sourced answers - I don't want to

discourage comprehensive, well-sourced, well-written answers. There is just something about my interactions on Mi Yodeya - and what I saw with other people's Q&A there - that left a bad taste. I can't really put a finger on it at the moment. But it was a much less "Haimishe" feeling than some other SE sites. (Though arguably far superior to the main SO site! In a lot of ways.)