"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Do the requirements to honor a Kohen require one to honor a female Kohen?

Do the requirements to honor a Kohen require one to honor a female Kohen?

+8
−2

Background: There is a requirement to honor Kohanim (Vayikra 21:8; Mishneh Torah, Positive Mitzvot, 32; Moed Katan 28b.27). Among the ways this commandment is fulfilled are allowing a Kohen to make Hamotzi and to lead bentching for those present; in a gathering of people, a Kohen should be the first to speak; a non-Kohen should offer a Kohen the best piece of food among that which he is serving to his guests (Mishnah Berurah 201:13); a non-Kohen may not make use of a Kohen (Rema, Orach Chaim 128:45). (There are some exceptions discussed elsewhere, but those are not relevant to the question at hand.)

Question: The same way that certain female relatives of Kohanim (i.e. their wives, and their daughters who are unmarried and never had children) are able to eat Terumah, no different than their male relatives (Vayikra 22:11-13), does the requirement to honor Kohanim extend to these female relatives as well? For example, if a group of women are forming a Zimun (as per Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chaim 199:7) and one of them is married to a Kohen, should they have the Kohen's wife lead?

Inspired by a discussion on Discord last week with msh210 and Isaac Moses. "Two are better than one...and a three-ply cord will not hastily be broken" (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12).

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (4 comments)
General comments
Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

When I saw "female kohen" in the title I thought you meant a bat kohen, but it looks like you're asking about wives. Or are you asking about both? (I don't know if Mrs. Kohen is "a (female) kohen".)

Isaac Moses‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@Monica I assumed, based on the basis of the question, that it means "female who can eat teruma," which includes both a kohen's unmarried daughter and a kohen's wife. Perhaps DonielF should edit to make the population in question explicit.

AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago

The verse's reason for the command clearly excludes women וְקִדַּשְׁתּוֹ--כִּי-אֶת-לֶחֶם אֱלֹהֶיךָ, הוּא מַקְרִיב

JoelK‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@AA although וקדשתו does apply to בעלי מומין