"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Doubling up on a Siyum

Doubling up on a Siyum

+7
−0

Asking for a friend:

If I learn with a Chavrusa and we both finish a Masechta together, assuming that we wait until different days to make the Siyum (whether permitted or not), if we each attend the other's Siyum, does it have the status of a Seudas Mitzvah? On the one hand, it is a completely separate celebration. On the other hand, I already celebrated the finishing of learning that Masechta with that person!

For example, if during the 9 days (or week of Tish'a B'Av) I make a Siyum on Sunday, and my Chavrusa makes a Siyum on Tuesday, is it appropriate for me to attend and eat meat at both Siyums?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (8 comments)
General comments
msh210‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

You say "we both finish a Masechta together". Do you mean "almost finish"? Doesn't the finishing happen at the siyum itself?

רבות מחשבות‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

Yes, technically speaking (although practically speaking, and much to my chagrin, many people study the final part of the Masechta before the siyum...)

rosends‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

This could lead to a chaburah of 8 people holding 8 siyumim during the 9 days on the same piece of learning.

AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

Are both celebrating Torah study? What's the problem? Are either just facades to ignore mourning the Temple and with no one caring about the Torah study? What's the heter?

manassehkatz‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

although practically speaking, and much to my chagrin, many people study the final part of the Masechta before the siyum... From personal experience (a Siyum of my own group shortly (fortunately!) before the COVID-19 shutdown; and from experience with many others), I suspect the vast majority of people planning to lead a Siyum will study the last portion in advance to be prepared - I certainly did. They just might not study it together as a group in the usual way.

רבות מחשבות‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

@manassehkatz when I teach the last section of a masechta to others who plan on making a separate formal siyum, I ask them to leave the room, and not to read that section (at the very least, not to read it out loud) until their siyum. Preparing the last section means that one is not actually finishing the Masechta at the siyum, and anyways, it would be nice for those at a siyum to see the shiur and/or Chavrusa go through their regular learning process.

manassehkatz‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@רבותמחשבות I think a lot depends on the specifics. If the Siyum is a big crowd (e.g., at tables at a Seudah, or seated in Shul) with one person getting up in front of everyone, then it won't be "see the Shiur and/or Chavrusa go through their regular learning process". But in any case, I wouldn't study that last Pasuk/Sugya in the regular group/Chavrusa. Just privately to be prepared.

AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

Not reading aloud in advance seems ridiculous. What if the last sugya is very detailed and you spend two weeks on it? You can't say it out loud lest you lose your chance at a siyum? Clearly not. You're done when you decide you're done. If you prepare a dvar Torah today to give tomorrow and that's when you plan to be done thinking about that sugya, then you celebrate with a siyum tomorrow after giving it.