"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on What does the change from "a man shall not..." to "you shall not..." for one verse in Vayikra 20 signify?

What does the change from "a man shall not..." to "you shall not..." for one verse in Vayikra 20 signify?

+2
−0

In Vayikra chapter 20 the torah gives a long list of forbidden relations. Almost all of them are of the form "if a man (lies with, takes)..." or, in one case, "if a woman..." (third person). In Vayikra 20:19 the voice changes to second-person imperative: "you shall not...". What does the change in voice signify? The full verse here is (from Sefaria):

וְעֶרְוַ֨ת אֲח֧וֹת אִמְּךָ֛ וַאֲח֥וֹת אָבִ֖יךָ לֹ֣א תְגַלֵּ֑ה כִּ֧י אֶת־שְׁאֵר֛וֹ הֶעֱרָ֖ה עֲוֺנָ֥ם יִשָּֽׂאוּ׃

You [males] shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother’s sister or of your father’s sister, for that is laying bare one’s own flesh; they shall bear their guilt.

This isn't the first use of "uncover nakedness", though the earlier use (in 20:11) is less direct ("if a man lies... he has uncovered..."). The exact verb in the earlier "if a man..." verses sometimes varies, so I suspect it's not something special about the verb here.

Many of these prohibitions are also given in chapter 18, where they're imperative. In chapter 20 they're mostly third person, except for this one imperative verse.

None of the commentaries we had at torah study where we looked at this address this question, and I don't see anything in English on Sefaria that addresses it. I'm not proficient enough to understand the Hebrew commentaries there.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

The Malbim seems to address (some aspect of) your question https://www.sefaria.org/Leviticus.20.19?ve... (2 comments)
The Malbim seems to address (some aspect of) your question https://www.sefaria.org/Leviticus.20.19?ve...
rosends‭ wrote almost 2 years ago · edited almost 2 years ago

The Malbim seems to address (some aspect of) your question https://www.sefaria.org/Leviticus.20.19?ven=The_Contemporary_Torah,_Jewish_Publication_Society,_2006&vhe=Miqra_according_to_the_Masorah&lang=bi&with=Malbim&lang2=en I'm not scholar enough to understand it but he and others point out that this is a second mention of these relations so the wording has to reflect that. I think... The shadal (and possibly Mizrachi) also remark on the distinction between a warning and a punishment. The Shadal says that Rashi's comment also deals with this to some degree,

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 2 years ago

Thanks for the pointers. This isn't the only second mention; the verse right before it repeats a prohibition from chapter 18 too. But I see what you mean (or what the shadal means) about warning versus punishment language. It still seems an odd placement. I wonder if there's a clear translation of the Malbim out there.