"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Categories - Divrei Torah, Purim Torah

Categories - Divrei Torah, Purim Torah

+3
−0

One of the key features of Codidact is Categories. There has been some discussion elsewhere, but now that the community is up & running, Meta is the place to talk about this. Two suggestions I know of so far:

• Divrei Torah

I think this should be Post only (i.e., like Q without the A) but allow comments, editing, etc.

• Purim Torah

This should be full Q&A. One key item to decide is whether this should be open for new questions all the time or limited to "close to Purim".

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (15 comments)
General comments
Canina‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

For examples of what an article ("post only", as opposed to Q&A) category can look like, see the Blog category on Meta or the Recipes category on Cooking. There is also What do you think of a recipe tab? on Cooking which discusses some of what is currently possible to do, and which may help inform the discussion here.

msh210‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

I think Purim Torah can be Q&A or post-only just like real Torah can. How to organize it, then, I'm not sure. It seems a bit over the top to have two Purim Torah categories.

Aliza‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

Would a Purim Torah category be excluded from default search results?

manassehkatz‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

That gets to the question of how searches work. There has been some discussion (in general Codidact, not specific to Judaism) for having easy ways to search in a single category or across multiple categories.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@msh210 categories and post types are orthogonal. We can create a Purim Torah category that supports both Q&A and articles. (The "create post" page has a selector for post type in that case.)

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@Aliza the plan for search is that you search in the current category by default and can check off a "search all categories" box. We don't have that yet. Currently search is global and each result shows which category it's from.

AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

"One key item to decide is whether this should be open for new questions all the time or limited to 'close to Purim'."

Or if we need to have that at all.

I don't think we should be hosting much if any Purim Torah. That was a funny idea at Mi Yodeya which got somewhat old and out-of-hand over the years. No need to get stuck in old models just because.

"Purim Torah" is not an exclusively Mi Yodeya concept - it is well recognized in the Orthodox world. Just discussing this reminds me of some hilarious stuff I've seen locally.

AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@manassehkatz I know, but were it not for Mi Yodeya, there's no way people here would be talking about it a week into the site's existence and only debating if it should be two weeks or more. Let's take this opportunity to go back to the drawing board about a productive use of site resources and ways of generating quality content.

@AA I like fun. Purim Torah is fun. Done well (and Mi Yodeya did it pretty well), it is a good thing. In addition, unlike SE, we can relatively easily have a real section for it so that the big downside of cluttering the main Q&A will not happen.

AA ‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

Can you clarify in this question what the question is?

@AA You're right. Not really clear whether I am saying "What categories should we have?" or "Should we have these 2 categories, Divrei Torah and Purim Torah". And I see the responses cover both! I'll have to think about this a bit...not really sure myself.

msh210‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

I like this approach as applied to Purim Torah: It should be a tag, not a category.

Aliza‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

Would things written to be read at the Pesach Seder count as Divrei Torah?

@Aliza They definitely can be Divrei Torah.