"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Divrei Torah Category

Parent

Divrei Torah Category

+6
−0

It's been previously suggested to create a Divrei Torah category. With Elul coming up I'm sure there's lots that the community has to share — should we create this forum in which people can do so?

The idea, if implemented, is to create a new category, alongside our current Q&A, Challenges, and Meta categories, in which community members could post their own novel Torah thoughts, or share Divrei Torah which they heard and felt should (and could!) be shared.

1. What types of themes are acceptable to discuss? Should any topic considered in-scope for questions be in-scope for posing Divrei Torah?1
  2. In the previous discussion it was taken for granted that such a Category would be for Articles. Should this be the proper implementation of it, where people could post their own Divrei Torah as Articles, and people can respond in its comments? Or should it be written as a Question-type post, in which people have the option to write counter-Divrei Torah in the Answers to amicably respond to the original piece?
  3. Currently we have the Weekly Topic Challenge ongoing. Should this be extended that the Theme of the Week would encompass both Questions on the topic as well as Divrei Torah thereon?
  4. Should we include a rotation, on a volunteer basis, for people to submit Divrei Torah on the coming Parsha/Yom Tov?
  5. Any other suggestions on how the Category should be set up?
  1. Please note that the CYLOR policy would extend to Divrei Torah as well. Just like we don't accept questions asking for halachic advice, we would not accept posts constructed as platforms for their poster to spread their halachic advice. Discussing others' halachic opinions, however, would be entirely allowed, if the community agrees.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
−0

I like the idea of divrei torah prompting "response" divrei torah. If we make the original d'var torah a question and use answers for the responses, though, then where would responses to those responses go? (I think we should assume that will happen.)

I propose that divrei torah, with whatever restrictions we place on them, be articles, meaning they can have comments but not answers, and that we link them together where applicable. Related divrei torah will likely share tags so in that sense they're linked already, but they'll be mixed in with unrelated divrei torah and with questions on the same subject. (I'm assuming we want the divrei torah to come up in tag searches.) So tags are relevant but not the solution to this problem.

We haven't designed and built code for this yet, but maybe we could have a list of "related" links alongside any post and a way for community members (at some trust level?) to add bidirectional links between top-level posts. Until we have that, we could add links to "response" or related divrei torah manually; the category probably won't have so much activity that bumps from such edits would be problematic.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (3 comments)
General comments
manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

These bidirectional links sound like the beginnings of a Wiki.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@manassehkatz more like "and Rashi on this says..." and "here's the Ibn Ezra" and "Rav Hirsch says" and "see also this discussion in the g'mara over here" and such. To me, wiki pages should converge -- there should be a page explaining a concept -- while I'm proposing more of a distributed approach with good linking.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

The style may be a bit different, but the technical structure is, I think, essentially the same: A bunch of posts with links between them. The difference with a Wiki that comes to mind is having an overall index that is more than "just a list of posts". But otherwise much the same.