"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on How will Judaism Codidact be better than Mi Yodeya?

Parent

How will Judaism Codidact be better than Mi Yodeya?

+7
−0

I feel a bit confused. On the one hand, I suppose we all supported Monica and her case against Stack Exchange, but obviously it's hard to ignore that Mi Yodeya is (at least in my view) the best thing that happened with Judaism with regards to the internet. At the same time, I also saw leading members of the community here at Codidact, among them Isaac Moses, who himself founded Mi Yodeya.

So I would like to ask, in what terms do you think Judaism Codidact will or should be better than Mi Yodeya? How would it be possible to create a community producing a valuable content instead of creating just another Q&A site which would eventually fall into oblivion?

I let myself be convinced, but frankly I am not aware of a clear and good answer now.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−1

One very important thing I would like to see here is people being more friendly. Mi Yodeya was the least friendly forum site I have ever visited. Whenever I am posting on Mi Yodeya and other forums around the same time I am almost in shock how much friendlier the other forum is. The most important thing is being more welcoming to newcomers. When I was new to Mi Yodeya it felt like at least have the times I would comment it would get deleted with no explanation. My questions were also always getting closed for very dubious reasons. I can't begin to guess how many potential members Mi Yodeya lost because of that. I would guess its at least 20%. I know some of my friends almost never use it anymore for that reason.

I've been following new visitors who come to Mi Yodeya and I'm constantly dismayed by the same trend. They are getting attacked left, right, and center.

One common issue, for example is questions being closed as opinion-based. I have several times found answers for questions that moderators decided were opinion based and closed, assuming nobody would be able to find a source for.

Another standard example is the rampant closing of practical questions when with about four seconds of editing they could be changed into general questions (For example, "If I..." can be changed to "If one...")

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
General comments
AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago

What policies/rules would you want to implement to achieve this vision?

AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Regarding the "rampant closing of practical questions", Mi Yodeya's standing policy is outlined at https://judaism.meta.stackexchange.com/q/3873/ and https://judaism.meta.stackexchange.com/q/4774/ What policy would you want?

Regarding when to close questions as opinion-based, Mi Yodeya's standard is described at https://judaism.meta.stackexchange.com/a/4376/ and is definitely not "assuming nobody would be able to find a source for". What policy would you want?

eliyahu‭ wrote over 3 years ago

In terms of the "rampant closing of practical questions", I much prefer Monica's approach outlined there. Edit (when possible) and give gentle guidance what the site is meant for. She does a better job than I could over here: https://judaism.meta.stackexchange.com/a/4023/13482

While some people do that on Mi Yodeya, I'm finding it incredibly rare.

eliyahu‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Often times I don't know what to say because I don't know what the issue was. Comments and the like posted by myself and my friends just vanished without a trace with no clue as to why they were deleted.

So you want a policy that material can't be deleted without notifying its author why it was deleted? Is so you should propose it. That could be rather burdensome for the volunteer moderators. A fully operative site can handle hundreds if not thousands of deleted comments every month