"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Custom Community Name?

Parent

Custom Community Name?

+11
−0

For those of us who were or still are a part of the Judaism StackExchange community, you'll know that they don't call themselves "Judaism Stack Exchange" – it's Mi Yodeya.

Here, we're just "Judaism Codidact." We are indeed a Codidact site about Judaism, but just calling ourselves "Judaism" is just asking for confusion. Is there any interest in branding?

What makes for a good name? I see three main criteria that ought to be considered:

1. It needs to be unique and memorable. If the community is called “Judaism,” nobody will ever find it without adding the second keyword “Codidact.”

2. It needs to be relevant to Judaism. Mi Yodeya is a great name because of its inspiration from the poem “Echad Mi Yodeya,” “Who Knows One,” as well as its being a quote from several places in the Bible.

3. It needs to be relevant to this site’s mission. Whichever part you want to focus on, whether that be the Q&A aspect, the community aspect, or something else, the name more importantly than anything else has to reflect our goals here.

If you’ve got a name to suggest, I recommend posting each name individually as its own answer, with a brief explanation as to why you think it’s a good name.

Of course, you might think that we’re fine as-is, with just “Judaism Codidact.” Just as I’m asking you to suggest alternative names with your thoughts as to why we should switch to that instead, if you feel our current name is good feel free to post an answer with your thoughts as to why we should keep it.

All of the above is find and all, but the most important question is for the development team: How difficult would it be behind the scenes to readjust for a new name? The most obvious hurdle would seem to be swapping out the logo, but otherwise is it as simple as search, replace, and publish, or would it be more complicated than that?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?
+6
−0

To answer the technical questions, a site's name is reflected in: - the logo - the URL(s) - the short description in …

3y ago

+8
−1

I think Ta Shema has a few things going for it: - It's a very common phrase in the Babylonian Talmud so will be easy …

3y ago

+4
−0

Perhaps, to hew close to the "Codidact" brand, we could consider: CoTalmid That is, Latin for "together" plus Hebr …

3y ago

+3
−0

How about: Codida'at Combination of Codidact and da'at (knowledge/wisdom/however you want to translate it).

3y ago

+5
−2

The Judaism term that comes to mind immediately in association with "codidact" is chavruta/chavrusa - "study partner." T …

3y ago

+1
−0

צא ולמד "Tze u'lemad" -- "come let us learn. Unfortunately, the presence of a non-English consonant is problematic …

3y ago

+1
−1

Col Coreh Biblical reference (Like Isaiah 40:3), used to let people knows things in a public and urgent manner Plays …

3y ago

+2
−2

Spinning off my comment into a new answer (incorporating input from Isaac and AA): I love Isaac Moses' ideas, especia …

3y ago

+1
−2

Yes, just "Judaism" is asking for confusion, but no custom name is necessary: just always call ourselves "Judaism Codida …

3y ago

+1
−2

Shinanta Play on Deut 6:7 The 'ta' at the end gives it a nice rings Reference to learning

3y ago

+1
−2

Consider the Talmudic: Amar Mar (אמר מר) Could be called Amarmar (stress on the mar #1). Catchy Kinda fun …

3y ago

+0
−1

Why are we here? To study Torah, for some sufficiently expansive definition of Torah. ("This, too, is Torah.") What …

3y ago

+1
−3

Originally I was going to propose a name reflecting the Q&A nature of the site, something like Sho’el U’Meishiv, or Hisk …

3y ago

+0
−2

Jewish Learning = People of the book Book = Scroll Scroll = Like ArtScroll, also a Jewish Learning platform Internet …

3y ago

+0
−2

Another suggestion, in line with all the others emphasizing the "learning together" value: Haskeis, referencing Berachos …

3y ago

+0
−3

Gamzu Classic jewish theme

3y ago

+0
−4

6thirteen. Reminder of the commandments. Sounds a bit intriguing.

3y ago

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
−1

Col Coreh

• Biblical reference (Like Isaiah 40:3), used to let people knows things in a public and urgent manner
  • Plays off of codidact and all
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
General comments
Dr. Shmuel‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Alright I think I'll stop for now.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.