"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Are there any sources for counting Druze men as part of a Jewish minyan?

Are there any sources for counting Druze men as part of a Jewish minyan?

+4
−1

I was talking to a Druze friend of mine a couple weeks ago, and the topic turned to religion. My friend is fairly knowledgeable about a lot of religion-related things (including for the Druze religion, Judaism, and Islam), and to my surprise he told me that technically Druze men can count in a Jewish minyan and that he's even done so a few times (in an Orthodox setting).

I presume this has to do with the origin of the Druze and the way that they count people as Druze or not (both of the parents have to be Druze for the kid to be Druze). However, I was unable to find any halachic sources for counting Druze men for minyan.

Are there any sources that back up what my friend told me?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (10 comments)
General comments
DonielF‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Anyone know if conversion to Druze is allowed, or if one must be born Druze?

Mithical‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@DonielF - there is no conversion to Druze

rosends‭ wrote over 3 years ago

is there any reason to think that this Druze was either telling the truth or knew that he was being counted as one of ten ( as opposed to being allowed to stay when there were 10 others)?

Mithical‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@rosends - Yes.

@mithical and what would that reason be? I can find nothing in halacha which would support his contention. Can you provide some reason to think that his understanding of Jewish law is to be relied on?

robev‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@rosends this is precisely Mithical's question. What's the basis for such a statement, or is there none.

@robev but the question is predicated on a claim that something happened. If that claim has no teeth then looking for proof one way or the other is a fool's errand.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

A related question is: Do their normal practices put them in the category of Bnei Noach? That could have Halachic ramifications for permanent residence in Israel, though not in the current (and foreseeable future until Moshiach) State of Israel.

sabbahillel‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@manassehkatz Since they seem to claim to honor Yisro as their founding prophet and are rigid monotheists, they would appear to be Bnai Noach. However, since they do not release details of their beliefs we do not really know. We will find out after the mashiach comes.