"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to the Judaism community on Codidact!

Will you help us build our community of learners? Drop into our study hall, ask questions, help others with answers to their questions, share a d'var torah if you're so inclined, invite your friends, and join us in building this community together. Not an ask-the-rabbi service, just people at all levels learning together.

Comments on Lights for 24 hours or 3 hours on 8 days -- which is better?

Lights for 24 hours or 3 hours on 8 days -- which is better?

+2
−1

One understanding of the Channukah miracle is that oil that should have lasted for 1 day lasted for eight and the famous question is "if it should have lasted for 1 day, then why is the miracle an 8 day celebration as only 7 of the days were miraculous" and to this there are many answers.

One which I saw in an email this morning explains one udnerstanding:

The Bais Yosef famously asks why we celebrate eight days rather than seven days of Chanukah and answers that they split the oil into eight portions. Each successive night they put in an eighth and it remained lit the entire evening. In total, the nes transpired eight days.

It then goes on to discuss how they could have expected that an eighth of the oil would last even on the first day -- were they improperly someich on a miracle's happening.

I'm wondering if their thinking was that there is value to being able to see some light on a number of days, or being able to relight the menorah as opposed to keeping it lit for only 1 full day.

Is there any sort of halachic priority established when confronted with a choice between "having a light for a full day" and "having some light on a number of days for a shorter period of time" or even "being able to light the menorah on any given day"?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (4 comments)
General comments
manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Just to clarify for anyone out there who is new to this and might be confused: This question only applies in the Beis Hamikdash (Temple). In the celebration of Chanukah, the requirement is for 30 minutes past Tzais Hacochavim (same time as end of Shabbos). No bonus points for lights that burn for 1 hour or all night or 24 hours.

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

"it remained lit the entire evening"? I thought the Nes was "the entire day" - i.e., the Menorah was normally lit with enough oil to burn 24 hours. We think of "all night" in normal candle usage, but in the Beis Hamikdash the Menorah was 24/7, except for cleaning time (and even then, I think one flame kept going == Ner Tamid).

rosends‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Yes, this is about the decision in the temple -- not in our houses as the personal obligation for Channuka candles is different. And I did see their language of "all night" and I guess they mean "over night until the next time it would be lit in the morning" maybe?

AA ‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@manasseh actually, the obligation is to light from sundown to when the streets quiet down. Many Rishonim did estimate the length of that period to be about a half-hour to an hour long.