Topic submission thread (Q4 5780) [closed] Question
closed as duplicate by DonielF on Sep 11, 2020 at 02:42
This question has been answered before. See: Topic Submission Thread (Q1 5781)
This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.
This thread is for submitting suggestions for the weekly topic challenge. If you have a suggestion for a topic, please reply to this question with your suggestion as an answer.
A good submission should:
- Not be too niche a topic (think "kashrus," or perhaps "milk and meat," not "nat bar nat").
- Not be too broad a topic (think "Book of Joshua," not "Prophets").
- Include the name of the topic, optionally in transliterated Hebrew, but absolutely in English. If the name doesn't translate well, write a short summary of the topic.
Tuesday Thursday night (subject to change), I will look through the submission suggestions here. The topic of the upcoming week's contest will be decided by which post has the highest score; lower-ranked posts which are seasonally relevant may be considered instead, but there is no guarantee that it will take precedence.
To reduce clutter, submissions which have been selected for a current or previous challenge will be deleted from this thread.
Any submission not chosen for one week is still eligible for the following week's topic challenge. Keep posting suggestions here, regardless of how many suggestions there already are! This list will be renewed every quarter, based on the Jewish calendar months (i.e. Q4 will run until Rosh Hashanah, for a slightly shorter quarter to work out the kinks in the challenge).
List of topic challenges for Q4 5780:
- 23-29 Tammuz (July 16-21): Three Weeks/Nine Days
- 1-7 Av (July 22-28): Medicine and Medicinal Ethics
- 8-14 Av (July 29-August 4): Beis HaMikdash
- 15-21 Av (August 5-11): Sefer Devarim
- 22-28 Av (August 12-18): Shabbos Songs/Zemiros
- 29 Av-5 Elul (August 19-25): Shemoneh Esrei
- 6-14 Elul (August 26-September 3): Lashon Hara
- 15-21 Elul (September 4-10): Rabbi Steinsaltz z"l
- 22-28 Elul (September 11-17): Shofar
V1.1: Adjusted how answers are scored and chosen so that terrible answers aren't automatically chosen just because they're seasonally relevant. Clarified how answer scoring works.
V1.2: Adjusted seasonally relevant boost factor to slow how quickly answers are boosted. Added clean-up for selected submissions.
V1.3: Removed seasonal boost factor.
V1.4: Reset on Thursdays, not Tuesdays.